Disappointment occurs when the unfulfilled desire or wish of an expectation is not met. And it can be when someone else makes a plan or a suggestion.
Dawn’s husband promised her a cruise for their 20th wedding anniversary. The next day her excitement took her over and she purchased several new bathing suits. She thought this cruise could be the best medicine for their strained marriage. Time alone, just the two of them, no interruptions, and her dreams soared. However, the next day her husband suggested that their teens join them since they hadn’t cruised. Stunned, Dawn fell down the emotional steps into disappointment. The next week she even fell further down the steps. She learned that there wouldn’t be a cruise. She beat herself up mentally, why did I even get my hopes up?
For you, it may be a date, a phone call, a job possibility or maybe a cruise or a new car or an engagement or even a longing for a child. The disappointment is what we feel in the pain of the crushing fall back to reality.
The first question to ask ourselves is, were we living in reality to begin with? And I coached Dawn with that question. She had mentioned her strained marriage.
- Did her spouse often come up with ideas that were not carried out?
- If so, then she set herself up to believe this cruise would occur.
- Next, I asked, “How long do we allow a disappointment to control us?”
- One must learn to disable the disappointments in life. One way I suggest and coach women to flip up disappointments to His appointments. Meaning God has a bigger picture! So back to the Word for emotional healing.
- Scripture says, “and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us” (Romans 5:5 NASB).
- We live in a fallen world.
- We will have disappointments. But the depth of the fall can be less painful if we live from reality. Be realistic dear friend.
- What disappointment in life have you faced?
- Is any disappointment stunting your growth today?
- What can you do with that unfulfilled desire?
Let me suggest if you are feeling down and sad and with the holidays coming, how about you join me for a coaching Christmas class starting on the 6th. All the info is right here, READ MORE! Join me.